gt3076r vs gt3071r

leeumh

following my previous thread, I've decided to go down the turbo route. After looking at the kits, I think I'd rather put together my own setup.

I'd only like around 280bhp but with the potential for more, so I've been looking into turbos that would give me the option.
I'm planning to use the stock b16b head with a forged 16a bottom end.
After reading around, I think its worth paying the extra for a Garrett turbo and have narrowed it down to the two in the title.
Has anyone had any experience with either of these?
I believe the 71r has an internal wastegate - I'm not really sure what the pros/cons are but what would people recommend?
I know they're popular on 2l engines - would they be too 'big' for a 1.6? Is lag an issue, especially with the 76r?

If not these two, what other similar options are there?

Recon'd TD04 or TD05 would be cheaper and make you power figure no bother. GT30s would be to big for the power your after

I have a turbonetics t3/t04b, cheap as chips turbo and I make 280hp at 0.6bar, so plenty room for more.
I've had a garrett gt series turbo before, good turbos and if you've got the cash go for it but you won't be disappointed with a cheaper one.

All depends on your end goal. Lag is very subjective and depends on the characteristics you desire to have in your car. A GT30 series turbo may seem big for your application but will provide room for more and won't be pushing the turbo at all at 280hp. Have you considered looking into the smaller Garret Gt28 series and the Precision Entry Level 5454 ? Again it all depends, you can achieve your power goal most turbo's but all come with different spool/efficiency levels/limits and cost! For example a Gt30 will make more power top end a likes built motors that make power top whilst a Gt28 will make power quicker down low but tend to choke more top end.

Got to ask yourself your Goals.

But yes a Gt30 will present you with lag, expect to start making boost around 4-5k. Although for a street car lag isn't exactly bad, depends how you look at it, I'd rather run a slightly larger turbo with less Psi to make my power. just preference

the 3076 is my choice. anyway, spooling and hitting full boost alot earlier will just let the car smoke its tires anyway!

Back